By registering for and/or attending the ATypI conference and/or related events presented by the Association Typographique Internationale, you agree to abide by this Code of Conduct.
ATypI promotes the values of openness, inclusion, support, and mentorship for all members and participants in our activities and at our events. Fostering respectful behaviour amongst all is a key aim of the Association, and members and participants at our events are expected to help ensure a friendly, safe environment for all. To support these values we strive to create a welcoming, helpful atmosphere for all, particularly in our identification of new members of the community. We also actively monitor and reflect on our communications, programming, and strategy.
To this end, we expect our community to show respect for others with regard to the full range of expressions of selfhood and identity (regardless of gender, age, disability, physical appearance, race, ethnicity, or religion), and to pursue engagement with new members.
Attitudes and behaviours that are unacceptable in the Association, for members and at our events, include discrimination on any grounds, harassment, the use of insensitive material or abusive or offensive language, and excessive criticism of any member or participant and their professional endeavours.
The responsive measures that we take when incidents of the type outlined are reported to us are immediate and are handled in confidence, with sensitivity and trust. Failure to abide by this code will result in potential expulsion from our events (without refund) and online fora, and/or loss of membership of the Association. All attendees, speakers, sponsors, volunteers, vendors, and other participants at our conference and each of our other events are required to agree with this code of conduct.
If someone makes you or anyone else feel unsafe or unwelcome, please talk to a member of conference staff as soon as possible. Conference staff can be identified by staff T-shirts, aprons, and/or badges. In the case of online events, staff will be identified with special symbols or phrases before or after their names.
Behaviour that contravenes our Code of Conduct includes, but is not limited to:
- Harassing, physically threatening, or physically or verbally abusing any person because of, (but not limited to) that person’s race, ethnicity, age, gender, religion, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or viewpoint.
- Verbal comments that reinforce social structures of domination (related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, age, religion).
- Disruption of talks or other events.
- Unwanted or invasive photography or recording.
- Excessive or unfounded criticism that may harm the reputation of a member of the Association, or a participant at our events and activities.
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking, or following.
- The use of inappropriate or threatening language, verbal comments, or physical contact.
- Sexual images and language in public spaces (to include online spaces, for example, usernames and personal profile avatars, etc).
- Unwelcome sexual attention.
- Exhibiting disorderly conduct, including but not limited to, abuse of controlled substances or overt drunkenness.
- Defacing property.
- Conducting oneself in a manner that endangers the health or safety of another person.
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behaviour.
- Bringing any weapons, firearms, dangerous chemicals, or any materials specifically banned by a particular venue space to an ATypI activity or event.
- Posting of any online media posts that reflect or perpetrate any of the above behaviour at an ATypI sponsored or affiliated event or activity.
Participants who are asked to stop any behavior that contravenes ATypI’s code of conduct are expected to comply immediately. If a participant engages in unwanted behaviour, the event organisers retain the right to take any actions required to maintain a safe and welcoming environment for all participants. This includes warning the offender or expulsion from the conference without refund.
Event organisers may take action to prevent any actions or behaviour designed to disrupt the event or make the environment hostile for any participants.
We expect participants to follow these rules at all event venues and event-related social activities and online media communication.
- If someone makes you or anyone else feel unsafe or unwelcome, please talk to a member of conference staff as soon as possible. Conference staff can be identified by staff T-shirts, aprons, and/or badges. You can make a report either personally or anonymously. If the event is online, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can make an anonymous report about an incident. We will post instructions for anonymous reporting on the ATypI website. Although we can’t follow up on an anonymous report with you directly, we will fully investigate it and take whatever action is necessary to prevent a recurrence.
You can make a personal report about an incident by:
- Contacting a staff member, identified by staff T-shirts, aprons, and/or badges. They will contact the safety officer on duty.
- Sending an email to email@example.com.
- Calling or messaging this phone number: +1.469.629.8973. This phone number will be continuously monitored for the duration of the event.
When taking a personal report, our staff will ensure that this is carried out in private and that you are safe. Your anonymity is guaranteed.
Our team will be happy to help you contact hotel or venue security, local law enforcement, local support services, provide escorts, or otherwise assist you to feel safe for the duration of the event as we value your attendance. We will also post specific local information for law enforcement and other resources on the ATypI website prior to the opening of the conference.
Written and adapted from The Ada Initiative: The Ada Initiative
Useful contact information:
Email address for conference organizers: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone number for conference organizers: +1.469.629.8973
Review of Policy
This policy will be reviewed by the Governance Committee of ATypI in 12 months.
Queries relating to this policy should be sent to email@example.com.